The Business Officer- Environment (BO) will implement environment strategies and report progress as part of donor reports and to MEDA team members and management as need working closely with HQ and M&E team.
• Ensure environment quality in project activities per project framework.
• Ensure Environmental sustainability is mainstreamed in Lead Firm proposed project .
• Further research on new developments and concerns on environmental sustainability in the private sector engagements in all three sectors in Year 2 of the project, as relationships with collaborating partners are secured and the rolling baseline survey takes shape.
• Identify and engage collaboration with Kenyan organizations that focus on Environment and Green growth development to ensure M-SAWA project operates in tandem with current environmental concerns, e.g. NEMA, KCIC, etc
• Advice the SMEs/Lead firms on appropriate environment certifications, those required by the Kenyan law and others that would improve their business sustainability.
• Contribute to assessing concept notes, grant awards and MOU’s/contracts for Lead Firms to ensure that environmentally sustainable and criteria are met.
• Draft donor reports sections entailing environmental issues and implementations pointing out to some key environmental.
• Provide inputs on the Due Diligence process in terms of environmental compliance as far as the SME/Lead Firms is concerned , paying attention to the present situation and their proposed initiatives, giving guidance for corrective measures as needed.
• Seek support from HQ Environment Specialist and local short term experts to offer environment training to SMEs/Lead Firms.
• Track the delivery of environment activities as per the annual work plan and support the M&E specialist in measuring progress on environmental indicators as require
• Collaborate in writing annual work plan.
• Track all environment indicators for the project.
• Lead the implementation of the Environmental Sustainability strategies
• Any other tasks as may be assigned by the line manager or management.
• A MBA or postgraduate degree in Environmental Science or Business related course with training on Green growth or environmental integration in projects or SMEs or M & E experience
• A minimum of five years’ experience in environment roles in an organization implementing environmental programs with focus on private sector/SMEs
• Ability to analyse complex data, M&E knowledge added advantage, Performance Management framework and Logic models familiarity.
• Understanding of: business decision-making in competitive market environments; inclusive subsector development and value chain development facilitation methods.
• Sector experience in any of the 3: agriculture/agribusiness, construction and extractives sectors
• Excellent report writing and review skills.
• Fluency in English and Swahili is required.
• Willingness to travel 60% of the time to the project areas for project monitoring.
• Prior work experience in Kenya is preferred and other comparable country context is desirable.
• Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values, mission and purpose.
• Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Competencies & Skills
• Communication skills
• Keen eye for detail
• Leadership skills
• Initiative and creative
• Customer service
• Interpersonal and team player skills
• Strategic and analytical thinking skills
• Problem Solving skills
• Aggressive, assertive and adaptable
• Business Acumen
This vacancy is a full time position.