Our client is looking for a knowledge driven individual to take up the role of a Group Program Manager. They have operations which cut across the Eastern Africa countries of Kenya, Ethiopia, Burundi and Rwanda, the Southern Africa countries of Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola and Mozambique, the Western African countries of Ghana and Nigeria and Portugal in Europe. The jobholder will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Further details concerning the role are as follows:
Responsible for significant, company-wide projects, typically with large budgets and sizeable staff, focused on meeting project commitments, including communications with sponsors and stakeholders; Leads the design, testing, planning, and implementation of complex projects within the organization healthcare portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the development and implementation of a broad, coordinated set of plans and programs to meet the goals and priorities of the healthcare business.
• Participate in external wide activities to maintain knowledge on developments in the field. Establish liaisons with key stakeholders and other vendor users to keep abreast of status of computing and communications activities across all business segments.
• Continuously improve project management toolkits and methodologies used within the organisation. Provide expertise and consulting to project managers in the project management processes.
• Drive projects organizational change taking full account of obstacles, opposition, and differing stakeholder priorities. Acts as a champion for business process changes; act behind the scenes to craft solutions for business problems related to the project.
• Provide mentoring, coaching and direction to the various team members’ and project managers. Ensure project team, staff and manager training and development.
• Manage the programme’s budget, monitoring the expenditure and costs against programme benefits as well as providing audit data as required.
• A Graduate degree or Master’s degree in the Project Management field form a reputable institution.
• A Project Management (Prince2) Certification highly desirable.
• A Certificate in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) will be added advantage
• Minimum 10 years of increasingly responsible experience, with at least five years of managing increasingly complex projects in a healthcare environment
• Able to work effectively and efficiently toward goals in a complex, diverse environment with multiple and changing demands.
• Known for effective leadership of staff and passion for client satisfaction and execution.
• Deep knowledge of principles, practices and processes in project management discipline.
• Outstanding record of project management success, both in results achieved and in use of professional methodology.
• Pro-active in developing and implementing strategies that significantly mitigate risk.
• Designs solutions for varied internal/external clients. Strong and current awareness of external trends and best practices.
• Demonstrates superior collaboration skills and techniques which appropriately define alternate solutions; resolve conflicts; and create lasting, productive partnerships with clients.
• Actively participates in cross-functional groups to solve problems across all projects. Provides resources and organizational structure to promote collaborative initiatives. Utilizes a network of relationships to collect and disseminate information, build support, and secure buy-in for desired objectives.
• Fosters and manages productive relationships with executive level sponsors.
• Demonstrates superior inter-personal skills, conflict resolution, and negotiating skills. Ensures open communication across project teams.
• Handles broad-based, often complex, communication for internal and/or external audiences.
• Creates a forum for ongoing open communication within the project teams.
• Defuses emotional charged situations and uses them to constructively build greater shared commitment to end goals.
• Promotes knowledge of team’s work to gain support for ongoing and future initiatives.
• Regularly makes decisions and takes independent action on matters directly affecting strategic goals.
• Guides staff and project managers in learning and applying useful decision making approaches.
• Partners with sponsors in understanding and creating opportunities and in making timely choices.
• Participates in strategy development.
Responsibility & Accountability
• Acts decisively in critical situations to circumvent a potential problem.
• Uses basic knowledge of general financial and accounting principles to understand and communicate how decisions affect bottom line for project, for Healthcare projects.
Influencing & Leading.
• Provides leadership, vision and direction setting for both project team and business partners.
• Uses knowledge of mission and core strategy as a basis to develop specific objectives and goals.
• Viewed as an expert, highly sought after resource, a key advisor to business partners. Establishes contacts, relationships and a network within the related projects.
• Creates an environment that encourages innovation and risk taking.
Critical Thinking & Problem solving
• Identifies, develops, and initiates innovations and solutions where precedents and procedures may not exist. Works cross-functionally to solve problems and implement changes. Analyses decisions and actions for their support of the larger area's strategic direction. Works with senior management to resolve more complex problems.
This vacancy is a full time position.