They have has responded to the socio-economic needs of the growing population through the development of innovative developments that positively transform neighbourhoods and communities throughout the region.
Are you a young seasoned Legal Counsel who is confident, ambitious, resourceful and imaginative with the desire to challenge yourself? Are you interested in being part of a team focused towards transforming the real estate market in Kenya and beyond the East African region? If so, then this is the job you are looking for.
Our client would like to fill the position of a Head of Legal who will be reporting to the Chief Operating Officer
The position is responsible for providing overall leadership for the department including planning for and delivery of the targets and results set for the department. It also ensures optimum resourcing to deliver the business objectives and building a high performance team in the department. The position is also responsible for putting in place systems, processes, and procedures that enable the efficient and effective delivery of results and for measures that enable continuous improvement within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Direction
• Providing Legal Opinion on various Legal Matters relating to Property and Real Estate Business and also handling all the matters pertaining to Legal Compliance
• Communicating and articulating the business objectives to the department team in a clear and concise manner so that their actions and activities are properly aligned with the business objectives.
• Setting aggressive targets and continuously monitoring performance to ensure that the department’s outputs are aligned to the business objectives and achieved.
• Resolving issues, problems, and challenges that may arise from time to time within the department or on project deliverables that are the responsibility of the department.
Planning and Management
• Preparing annual and project specific plans containing Key Performance Indicators thatensure optimum resourcing and equipping of the department.
• Looking ahead at risks, issues and challenges likely to occur on projects and proactively addressing them to avoid failure to achieve set targets.
• Working with Finance to prepare annual budgets and where applicable forecasting for the department and taking responsibility for the targets set.
• Establishing systems, processes and procedures within the department and ensuring they are followed.
• Ensuring that required reports are accurately prepared and issued in a timely manner.
• Establishing and periodically reviewing Key Performance Indicators and Measures for the department to track performance and put in place mechanisms and actions for continuous improvement to ensure that year on year and project on project there are improvements from lessons learnt in previous years/projects.
• Provide day-to-day Legal advice and support to the Group, Project SPV’s and department heads.
• Draft comprehensive and legally sound contracts, agreements, business documents.
• Liaise with external Counsel, on a need basis.
• Researching and updating legal issues and structures including keeping up to date with legislation and advising the Group and Project SPV’s on changes that impact the projects or Group.
• Liaising with external Counsels and intermediaries to resolve and negotiate through all legal challenges, problems, disputes and difficulties as they arise.
• Ensuring that the Group and project SPV’s are Compliant with Statutory requirements.
• Oversee all Company Secretarial requirements and activities for the Group and project
• Oversee the fast tracking and diligent handling of all matters for the Group or projects before the Registrar of Companies, Lands Office, Survey of Kenya, Director of Physical Planning and National Lands Commission.
• Trouble-shoot and aggressively find solutions to all obstacles and challenges faced in the course of business.
• A LLB undergraduate degree.
• A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
• Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
• At least 10 years legal experience ideally in a leading organization, with a proven track record in conveyancing; Commercial & Corporate Law; Bank securities & Finance
• Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel.
• Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
• Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government agencies, the judicial system and negotiating parties.
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration.
Required skills and key competencies
• Entrepreneurial and business acumen skills.
• Assertive and a great relationship builder.
• High interpersonal skills and ability to interact with people from all walks of life.
• Excellent Drafting skills with great attention to detail.
• Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters.
• Strong leadership and managerial skills.
• Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters.
• Good planning and organization skills.
• Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters.
Salary: Kshs. 300,000 – 400,000
How to apply: If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please make your application through our website www.dorbe-leit.co.ke before close of business 22nd June 2016.Only successful candidates will be contacted.
This vacancy is a full time position.